Download PDF Notes for this Topic
- India is one of the ancient civilizations of the world.
- It has moved forward displaying remarkable progress in the field of agriculture, industry, technology and overall economic development.
- India is a vast country. Lying entirely in the Northern Hemisphere.
- The mainland extends between latitudes 8°4’N and 37°6’N and longitudes 68°7’E and 97°25’E.
- The Tropic of Cancer (23° 30’N) divides the country into almost two equal parts.
- The land mass of India has an area of 3.28 million square km.
- India’s total area accounts for about 2.4 percent of the total geographical area of the world.
- India is the seventh largest country in the world.
- India is bounded by the young fold mountains in the northwest, north and northeast.
- From Gujarat to Arunachal Pradesh there is a time lag of two hours.
- Hence, time along the Standard Meridian of India (82°30’E) passing through Mirzapur (in Uttar Pradesh) is taken as the standard time for the whole country.
- India shares its land boundaries with Pakistan and Afghanistan in the northwest, China (Tibet), Nepal and Bhutan in the north and Myanmar and Bangladesh in the east.
- Our southern neighbors across the sea consist of the two island countries, namely Sri Lanka & Maldives.
- Sri Lanka is separated from India by a narrow channel of sea formed by the Palk Strait and the Gulf of Mannar while Maldives Islands are situated to the south of the Lakshadweep Islands.